Sunday, April 17, 2011

...I could've had class!

Book: Run From The Reaper
Words: 1,368 (edited)
Time: 4:30-8:30pm
Mood: Not bad
Impression: It should sing

So I missed my goal by a little today. I was shooting for 10,000 words and I did 1,368. I didn't feel like a horrible slacker. I did edit a page while doing laundry. And then I put in 3 hours after that. I just think that his guy needs a lot of work. Again, this is what happens when you write a book in 6 days.

But what I'm hoping is that as it gets deeper into the story it requires less edits. It hasn't happened yet but it still could. I think that I've entered the 18,000 words that I wrote on the last days. I certainly didn't feel like I was writing crap at the time, so it has to get quicker, I think.

But in either case, I think that the story will sing. I've really started to consider what that reviewer said about my writing being intoxicating. Looking at the text for 'Run From The Reaper', I think that I see what he's referring to. Objectively speaking a lot of the time it's sensually rich. And a part of me considers if what it is is bad. But no, I don't think so.

The way that I'm turning the phrase in this story is different. I just finished writing 'Fixing Cupid'. That wasn't sensually rich. It was standard. And I did that so that the humor could shine. But 'Run From The Reaper' plays with the rhythm of the sentences. A lot of the time during this story I construct a sentence and thought, no, the last word of the sentence should have 2 syllables and begin with the letter 'R'. That has got to indicate that something special is going on with my writing style in this book. I've never thought that while writing another book.

Anyway, we'll see. Meanwhile I was involved in a very deep discussion about book price over the last few days. It all came out of a conversation I had with my roommate about the price of 'The First Day After Life.' He thought that it shouldn't be 99 cents. I thought that it should. It got into the research that I got access to while working at Disney's Brand Marketing department and I ended up sharing that info with the folks on Kindle Board.

I have to say that the conversation wore me out. Like so many times in my life, I felt like I was the only one on one side of a discussion with 10 people on the other. But I do have to say that there was one person that had my back during everyone's questioning. Thanks Debora! :-)

Here's the thread if you want to know how Disney breaks down their customers and how it can apply to ebook pricing. What I did get out of the conversation though was that my decision to release in multiple genres did conform with something Malcolm Galdwell discussed in 'The Tipping Point'.

What he basically talked about was that the way that companies increase revenue was by creating 30 different spaghetti sauces because there was no right spaghetti sauce. That way everyone who wants a spaghetti sauce can buy one from their brand. I am writing in 5 different genres. I used to think that it wasn't good because I didn't have a series. But now I'm looking at it as I am Prego and I'm creating 30 different spaghetti sauces.

Ok, that's it for me. Tomorrow I have to be on the set of the TV show Bones at 5:30 am. I'm already only going to get 4 hours of sleep at most. I still have to upload my new cover for 'Fixing Cupid' and post my word count on Kindle Boards. I will drag tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment