Monday, August 15, 2011

I will be starting a new book series - It's official!

Today, I'm making it official. I will be writing a YA book series. It will be Quantum Leap meets Doctor Who. And each of the books in the series will be like visiting a level of Dante's Inferno accept each of the worlds reveals a new aspect of where the human animal meets the part of us that is trans-dimensional. And all of that will be the backdrop to stories that are high on romance, adventure and intrigue. (you know, I reread this and it is times like this that I really hope that I am as good as people have said because I'm biting off an awful lot)

This will certainly be the most ambitious project that I have ever embarked on and I am going to give myself a year to do it. That means that other than the occasional 'Everybody vs The Ferret' release, I won't have anything new until sometime next year. Unluckily, I don't think too many people will notice.

My plan is to make this book my greatest display of creativity and ability. I will try to give it the humor of 'Happiness thru the Art of... Penis Enlargement' without the sex; the page turning action of 'Run From the Reaper'; and the chapter structure and heart of 'Samurai Zombie Hunter.' I'm hoping that this will be my best work.

Oh course, I said the same thing about 'Samurai Zombie Hunter.' And maybe Samurai is my best work, but I haven't heard back from the first reader yet (the editor) so it's still possible that readers won't connect with it.

But, I'm going into this new series with a different mindset than I did my most recent books. I wrote my recent books to sell. I'm writing this new series to be a special work of literature that helps readers to understand their place within the universe better. And I'm putting that understanding in as compelling a story as I know how to write. The books will be dealing with the topic that is the most important of all topics. And I plan on writing a book series that uses all of the storytelling ability that I have in me.

If I remember precisely, I said the same thing about 'Samurai' and that one almost made me lose my mind. Hmmm, I don't think I could go through that for an entire year. Maybe this series will require a different part of me that isn't so deeply personal.

Anyway, this week I have my new roommate moving in. After that I think I will restart work on 'Everybody vs The Ferret: 3'. I had stopped working on it when I decided to quit writing (and had to come up with rent). But if I remember correctly, it was a hell of a piece of satirical work. I just wish more people were reading those short stories. They really are very good... especially 2 and what I remember of 3.

After I finish that book, I think I have some more visual effects work on the movie 'Cats Dancing on Jupiter'. It's a movie starring Amanda Righetti from The Mentalist and Captain America. It's also pretty good.

After that I will probably have to do some background work on a TV show or movie. But while on set I will probably start the very long process of outlining all of the books that will be in the series. I would like to write all of the books back to back and this series is one that will require a grand plan before I start. I am really hoping that this is the group of books that defines my work. It won't exactly be genre fiction but I'm hoping that this is the series that introduces readers to my genre works.

On other notes, I have uploaded the paperback version of Run From The Reaper. It's isn't live yet, but it should be in the next couple of days. And today my editor Amy Oppenheim delivered the re-edited book 'Fixing Cupid' to me. I guess this weekend I will resubmit it as a second edition and I will start formatting the paperback version.

Today, Amy was also the second person to tell me that I "deserve" to be a successful author. She said it because she enjoyed both books she edited. So I thank her for her great work and the compliment. I really do have to figure out a way to get my books in front of more readers. I keep seeing writers from the KindleForum taking off in popularity. I'm saddened by the fact that I still struggle to sell real quantities of books. I guess it could never have really happened until they had this second edit. So here's to hoping the path has been cleared for a brighter future.

It's funny, I'm here thinking about restarting 'Everybody: 3' and I can feel the pressure that I feel about writing comedy. I need to wipe it out of my mind. I think it's time for a little more mindless television.

No comments:

Post a Comment